Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Gift of Adoption

As I lay awake late last night, I thought about all the many seeds God has planted in our lives that has brought us to this moment. Twenty-two year ago, I clearly remember peeking around the corner at a carrot red, wiggly bundle of a baby- my sister Lisa. She joined our family through the love of adoption when I was ten and I can't remember life without her. Our hearts were forever joined the moment I first held her. She has never been my "adopted sister", she is my sister in the truest sense. As the years have passed Mark and I have been blessed to have 4 children who happen to match us biologically. We have been asked the question many times in the past few years, "Why adopt when you can have your own?". My answer is that adoption is not God's plan B. Adoption was and is part of God's plan for our family and for each of us. When we believe in Jesus Christ, we are God's children and his heirs by adoption. (Romans 8; 12-17) We are joyfully welcomed into God's family. In just a few days, we will open our arms to a beautiful little girl we have only imagined and adored through pictures. But you see, God knew all along she was our daughter and tied our hearts strings together long ago. We are humbled that God has chosen us to parent each of our children. He has brought each into the world with a different story, and even brought our dear Samuel home to rest with Him. We will give HIM ALL THE GLORY for giving us a precious, multicultural family and for allowing me to experience the wonderful gift of adoption not once in my life, but twice!

Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth-- - Isaiah 43: 5-6

No comments: